©ORT SUD

Léiffrächen

Where? Rue de la Forêt, L-3620 Kayl

The "Léiffrächen" in Kayl is a national place of pilgrimage and memorial

A small chapel in a grotto in which the "Léiffrächen", a statue of Mary which is seen as the second patron saint of miners, is honored; Over time, the place of faith has become an important place of pilgrimage and is inextricably linked with the Luxembourg mining industry and the local mining families.


Practical information

  • Accessible to all

Culture info

  • History

Contact

Address: Visit Minett
Rue de la Forêt
L-3620 Kayl
Show on map

More sites

©Jwh (CC BY-SA 3.0 lu)
Memorials points in Pétange
Remembering the past
Find out more
©Escher Kulturlaf Asbl
free
with theLuxembourgPass
Blast Furnace Belval
At the heart of this newly transformed quarter of the city, which comprises the modern campus of the University of Luxembourg, you can see the imposing remnants of the iron ore industry that drove the economy of Luxembourg more than 100 years ago.
Find out more
©Pulsa Pictures
Minett Park Fond-de-Gras
The Minett Park Fond-de-Gras is an open-air museum that includes the Fond-de-Gras, the village of Lasauvage, the former open-cast mine of Giele Botter and the Celtic oppidum of Titelberg.
Find out more
©Ville d'Esch
Museum of the Cockerill Mine at Ellergronn
Exceptional legacy from the mining era
Find out more
©Visit Luxembourg
Titelberg - archaeological site
An important site from Celtic times
Find out more
©Pecalux (CC BY-SA 3.0 lu)
Algerian spahis monument in Lasauvage
This monument is dedicated to the Franco-Algerian scout troops who died in the fighting during the attack by Nazi Germany in May 1940
Find out more
©ORT SUD
Square Hyman Josefson
This memorial is dedicated to 2nd. Lt. Hyman Josefson, the first US casualty in Luxembourg during World War II
Find out more
©Gaul’s Legacy Tours
Monument for Hyman Josefson
The US memorial “September 9, 1944 – We will never forget” of Pétange, is actually dedicated to the 2nd Lt. Hyman Josefson, recorded as the first US soldier to loose his life on Luxembourg territory on September 9, 1944, the first day of American troops crossing the French border area liberating parts of southern Luxembourg.
Find out more
©Esch2022
Le Fonds Belval - "Möllerei" building
Le Fonds Belval - "Möllerei" building
Find out more